Director of Engineering – Battery Management (US Based role)
Sensata’s battery management engineering team is innovating new sensing and control solutions for lithium-ion energy storage systems. Together with leading global customers, we are developing next generation battery management technologies and products that significantly improve the safety, performance, reliability and costs of battery systems – and the next generation of electric cars, trucks, buses and stationary storage systems that use them. We’re looking for a world class technical talent to lead our global battery management engineering teams.
In this role, you will:
- Collaborate with global customers, and with our business development and marketing colleagues, to define high level product requirements (e.g. vehicle level, or site level)
- Study tradeoffs and make overall architecture decisions to define the product platform
- Lead the translation of high level requirements into technology and product requirements
- Develop detailed development programs based on technology and product requirements
- Lead the engineering teams execution of the development programs from conception through launch
- Mentor, grow and develop your team
Essential qualities you will bring:
- BS Electrical Engineering with 10 years of experience in a related field, including 5 years related to the development of battery systems, high voltage architecture development and/or electric powertrain components
- Strong fundamental knowledge of battery technologies and systems with a proven history of leading the development of battery management systems
- Experience in automotive high voltage systems and battery safety
- Experience with FMEA and Functional Safety analysis for automotive electronics products
- Familiarity with relevant industry standards such as IEC, ISO and GB
- Critical thinking with exceptional problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills with a strong ability to work independently and in a diverse team environment
- Proactive, resourceful, and highly motivated to achieve project success on multiple projects within the defined schedule
- Experience leading distributed technical teams and developing engineering talent
- Ability to travel as required to support projects and customers
Desirable qualities you will bring, or have a strong willingness to develop:
- MS Electrical Engineering with 10 years of experience
- Knowledge and experience with the function and performance characteristics of all electrified propulsion system components such as lithium ion batteries, contactors, inverters, DC to DC converters, on-board chargers, HEV/EV vehicle controls, electric motors and transmissions
- Experience with battery state estimation algorithms
- Experience with automotive bus architectures CAN, LIN, SPI, I2C, and/or FlexRay, and the use of relevant tools to test and diagnose them (e.g. CANalyzer, CANoe, etc)
- Knowledge of wireless technology and wireless applications (e.g. TPMS, RKE, Bluetooth, 802.15.4, etc)
- Experience with MATLAB, Simulink and vehicle powertrain simulation.
- Experience with FREE RTOS, AUTOSAR, others.
The position reports to the General Manager of Sensata’s battery management business within the Office of the CTO. This role can be based in Detroit, MI or Attleboro, MA. Other locations can be considered on a case-by-case basis.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. As an Investor in People, Schrader is committed to the provision of training, development and promotion opportunities. A comprehensive Induction programme is also available to all our new employees.
Please note that all successful candidates must undergo a medical examination which includes a drugs test.
Schrader Electronics is an equal opportunities employer